After a pipe bursting or thunderstorm, water can collect in your basement. If not pumped out, this water can damage your home requiring a water damage restoration. If you are in this situation, what should you do? In this article, we are going to talk about steps that you can take to clean up after a flood. This is important if you want to clean your indoor air. Read on to know more.
What should you Do after a Flood
If the water damage is not severe, you can fix the water damage yourself. However, if the flood has caused a lot of damage to your property, you should hire the services of a professional. After a minor flood, given below are a few tips that can help you deal with the water damage.
Wear protective gear
• Before you get started, make sure you put on the protective gear listed below:
• Proper clothing: Ideally, you should wear boots, shirts with long sleeves, and long pants
• Goggles: Make sure you go for a pair that does not have air holes
• An N95 respirator: This type of mask can cover both your nose and mouth. You can buy it at your nearby hardware store. It’s not a good idea to go for a handkerchief as an alternative to this mask.
Steps to clean your home
Once you have worn the protective gear, you can start on the cleanup process. Given below are some of the common areas you may want to focus on:
• Get rid of the items that you don’t need or those that cannot be cleaned
• Separate any dry items as soon as you can in order to prevent them from contamination
• Pump out all of the standing water so that it does not become the breeding ground for airborne particles
• Wash and disinfect all of the affected items, such as home contents, closets, floors, walls, and solid surfaces. Don’t forget to read the labels before using any type of household cleaners.
Other Things to Consider
In case of a power outage, you can use a portable generator but make sure you place it outside your house. The reason is that these units emit harmful gases. Therefore, they should not be placed in an enclosed area such as a room.
You can also try out a water damage restoration product. With these products, it will be easier for you to pump out a lot of standing water from your home. However, it is better that you hire the services of a professional if you cannot fix the damage yourself. After all, you don’t want to end up causing further damage to your property.
Long story short, since flood cleanup is important for your indoor air quality, we suggest that you follow the tips given above in order to perform a clean up after thunderstorm or flood. However, if the problem is beyond you, we suggest that you look for a good professional.